dimanche 30 septembre 2007

can i have your attention please

.










***
if anyone wants to go see this play with me, please let me know-- The History Boys at the Mark Taper Forum. it was also made into a movie and the play itself has won numerous tony awards-- i've been wanting to see it forever.

here's the trailer for the movie:

as you can see, it's won the most tony's in the past half-century, and the cast of the movie is the actual cast of the play.
dominique, i think you'd adore this. and lily too (it in L.A.-- near MOCA!).













so.
english class is pathetic.
our latest assignment is to write a "future scenario," to write down our ambitions and whatnot and detail the rest of our lives.
is someone can see a connection between this task and furthering our abilities in writing and analyzing literature, please tell me.

here's mine:
(like i said. i have no idea what on earth this will do to help us in english.)

Future Scenario for Gina Hong

After graduating in 2009, I will attend Northwestern University as a pre-law student double majoring in linguistics and political science. If my schedule allows for additional courses, I will take a minor in communications or physics. While studying as an undergrad, I will also work as a freelance writer for various cultural and political periodicals in order to pay for my education. Continuing this work and gaining more and more work experience as journalist, I will graduate from Northwestern and then move on to attend Columbia University to attain my juris doctor degree, after which I will be fully qualified to practice as a lawyer. However, I will not pursue that profession, having obtained a lawyer’s education in order to garner beneficial information for my future career. At this point, I will enter Princeton University to study at their Woodrow Wilson School for International Relations. Eventually, I will earn a Ph. D in international relations while working as an intern at the United Nations in New York, only a train ride away from Princeton, New Jersey. By the time I complete my first Ph. D, I will be, at most, 35 years old.

After concluding this relatively extensive course of education, I will hold a postdoctoral position as a researcher for the United Nations and focus on the branches of global diplomacy and international communication. After a year of being thus employed, I will work as a French and Korean interpreter for the United Nations for two to five years before fully dedicating myself to international diplomacy. I will attain a post as an ambassador for the United States to a continental European country and after serving in this station for a decade, I will return to the U.N. to work as a member of the United States division in the U.N. Security Council. In this council, I will serve for ten years, committing myself to peace and security in the global community. At this point in my life, I will be around 60 years old and finally ready to pursue my final career goal—a judge on the International Court of Justice. Such judges hold nine-year terms and are eligible for reelection. I hope to be reelected at least once, therefore and at the end of my career, I will be at least 78.

If, by that time, I have not tired of furthering my intellectual spectrum, —and I highly doubt that I will ever feel that way, I will retire from my career and settle down to be a student once more. However, I will continue my education in Paris, seeing that I plan to move to Montmartre, a small village in the eighteenth arrondissement. As a part-time student of the Collège de Sorbonne, I will steadily work towards another Ph. D in European Literature. During the day, I will continuously work as a writer, freelancing for literary, fashion, and political magazines and newspapers, and also publishing a few collections of original poems. Taking annual trips to Africa, Asia, and South America during the summer, I will enjoy the rest of my life in a Parisian apartment with cultured, intelligent friends and extensive collections of books, movies, and clothes. In my free time I will revert to painting, working with clay, swimming, writing, reading, and visiting museums. By the time I am 85, I will boast another Ph. D and the position of a professor of literature, political science, English, or physics at a relatively prominent university in Paris. I will most likely only be able to teach for a decade or so before I die of exhaustion and old age.

I will, however, pass on in a satisfied manner, having accomplished a significant amount of good for the world and contributed as much as I could to keeping peace amidst the international community. In the last years of my life I will allow myself to be selfish, indulging in the aspects of culture in which my interests will never fade: music, fashion, art, and literature. I hope to be able to attend numerous exhibitions, concerts, theatrical performances, and even poetry readings as an old, decaying woman. I will live with one dog and a cat; the former will be a jack russell terrier named Da Vinci and the latter will be a tabby named Antigone. In regard to my marital status, I hope to remain unmarried for the rest of my life and to not bear any children. If, later on, I desire I child, I will opt for adoption, but I consider that an unlikely prospect. Perhaps I will have a host of companions, several years older than my while I am young, and then much younger than me when I am older, but I will never enter marriage. The only way I will ever marry is if Damien Rice offers me a proposal. For the vast majority of my life I will serve, dedicated and focused, for an admittedly unattainable goal of world peace. I will die knowing that I played my part in trying to foster harmony between nations. After my death, I will be cremated and my ashes will be spilled into Le Seine, as will be requested in my will. My belongings will be equally dispersed between my younger sisters and I will have a grave marker next to those of my parents.