mercredi 3 juin 2009

so glad i found:

http://www.appendix-mag.com/



Very much worth a look.







Morning:
>Went to the last graduation rehearsal, scared the shit out of the fob sitting next to me, and read two stories in the short story collection I'm currently reading.

Afternoon:
>Bought black flats for graduation (I now have a personal vendetta against astroturf)& also purchased a great t-shirt
>Received an entirely unexpected call from George, who picked me up shortly after
>Ate at Mr. G's Pizza with George; Mayur eventually joined &eventually crossed the parking lot for coffee.
>Hung out with those two until Joann came; Mayur and George left a bit after when the former had to go to class

Evening:
>Stayed at Starbucks with Joann, talking, until about 9
>Now currently chilling at home until Eric comes to take me to the beach.



It was so, so nice to talk to Joann again. I loved hearing about her classes at MIT and her experiences there. And her boyfriend~!
I missed her so much throughout this entire school year; soon I'll be on the same coast as her again, though...

While she and I were at Starbucks, talking on the plushy chairs, a group of about 5 people came in together and sat down near us. At first I thought it was a little strange I didn't hear them greet each other, but it was then apparent that they were all deaf.
While Joann and I discussed our separate lives, the people next to us moved their hands, communicating with as much as we did. Once in a while, I glanced at them to watch their hands move. Eventually, I spoke to Joann, "You know, what these people are doing is amazing. I've never seen a group of deaf people communicating in public like this." She and I talked about communication and the wonders of being able to speak to another individual, deeply and surely, without really saying anything at all.
It completed the evening, I think, sitting their with an old friend, in slight awe of something so simple, yet so complex as communication. It really was beautiful, how expressive the emotions were, and how their entire bodies seemed to compensate for lack of speech: the angles of their bodies, the inward leaning of postures, and the intensity of their gazes.
I wanted to tell them that they were all inspiring, but I realized that they wouldn't be able to hear me.

I was reminded of this